Tuesday, September 29, 2009

halloween is a'coming...

and I am so excited! I love everything about it - the colors, pumpkins, decorating, everything. I have also been crafting like crazy lately and wanted to show you whats been going on at my house.

My favorite magazine of all time is Creating Keepsakes. Absolutely love it for inspiration and ideas. I've also been really into getting past issues from eBay, in fact, I have every single issue from 2004 to the present. This is above my computer desk so I can easily grab an issue when inspiration strikes. And you never know when you're going to find an especially amazing issue.
Isn't this cool? This is a project from the October 2008 issue of Creating Keepsakes. The article is called "Halloween Countdown" by Candice Stringham and includes two projects, this 13 days of Halloween project and the crow banner that you'll see later on.

The frame is from Ikea and I just got the wire mesh from our local hardware store. I made the little creations from miscellaneous embellishments and fun scrapbook paper. Then I used hooks (from "hook and eye" sets) from JoAnn Fabrics, and fixed them to the back of my various creations.

You can see that they are numbered 1-13, on the back of each item (or inside the item itself) is something to do on that particular day, like "try on your costume" or "bake Halloween cookies". For the crow banner, I redrew the crow image in Adobe Illustrator then cut out the crows with my Wishblade (I was lazy and didn't want to cut them all out by hand). I also cut the letters out with the Wishblade as well. Now the crow banner in the magazine said "spooky" but I liked "Halloween" better.

I also wanted a banner for the upstairs fireplace, so I made one of my own design,
The last project I've been working on is a luminary from MarthaStewart.com. I wanted to do something special on the piano this year.
It turned out pretty cool, I hope to make two more to go on either side and add some pumpkins on there. I'll take pictures when I'm finished with the whole setup.

I am having an absolutely blast with all of this - it is so much fun seeing something and then recreating it with my own twist on it. I would love to see what you're working on this year, leave me a comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment