Saturday, February 5, 2011

Gluten free bread success

After making gluten-free bread for a little over a month, I have made my yummiest loaf yet.

Here is the recipe,

- 3 eggs
- 1 Tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon xanthan gum
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 cup potato starch
- 1/2 cup quinoa flour
- 2 1/4 cups brown rice flour
- 1 Tablespoon active dry yeast

And here's how you do it.

1.  Place ingredients in the pan of the bread machine in the order listed, making sure not to let the yeast come in contact with the wet ingredients.
2. Select the sweet dough cycle. Five minutes into the cycle, scrape down the sides of the pan if needed.
3. When bread is finished, let cool for 10 to 15 minutes before removing from the pan.
4. Nom.

I used the basic white bread recipe from Allrecipes.com, but instead of white rice flour I use brown, and instead of soy flour, I use either tapioca or quinoa flour.

While my husband has yet to be converted (he is super, SUPER picky about texture), our son and I absolutely love it. And I tell you, there is nothing better than your child taking a bite and then telling you that its the best bread ever. {sigh}.  If you have any other great GF bread machine recipes, please leave a comment!  I am always looking to branch out.

Hopefully coming tomorrow will be a post on organizing the plethora of flours, starches and gums that come with gluten-free baking. It all depends if FedEx comes through with my package of organizing supplies. More to come soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment