Thursday, October 22, 2009

the pumpkins have landed

and I am having so much fun with them this year! I've been thinking of using gourds for noses, ears, etc. for years and I finally did it this year. I actually used our electric drill to drill the hole. I wasn't prepared for the pumpkin goo to splatter all over the kitchen, but when you use power tools, it can get messy. And it did. Big time.

I also wanted to try a fun new idea that I saw on MarthaStewart.com. This technique uses wood gouges to carve into the pumpkin's skin without going all the way through. The result is pretty darn cool. So first I measured my pumpkin, then made a template on my computer, printed it out and taped it to the pumpkin. Then I used an awl to poke holes around the letters so I could see them when I took the paper off. Then came the wood gouges! Here you can not only see the pumpkin but a close up of my super thick glasses. Yes, it is a wonder that I can see at all. Here is the finished design: Roman wanted a scary pumpkin so we made this one for him: Happy Carving!!

3 comments:

  1. I absolutely love your pumpkins!!!! Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love love love your jack o lanterns!!! I must get busy myself! Thanks for inspiration!

    ReplyDelete