Sunday, November 28, 2010

livin' gluten-free

After a loooong absence, I am back!  I have been having some health problems lately and I just found out this past month that I have celiac disease. Meaning I can't have gluten or my body attacks itself (its an auto-immune disease).  I have been having mild to moderate symptoms almost my whole life and severe symptoms only this past month.  So I had a blood test and both an endoscopy and a colonoscopy and celiac it is!

Thankfully we live in a day and age where there are TONS of options out there. Tons.  My local grocery store even has a different colored price tag for items that are gluten free.  It makes things much, much easier.

My body is slowly healing itself after all the craziness and I can really tell a difference.  I'm more awake and alert (without coffee....I know, crazy right?), I generally feel better - I'm not dragging so much, and of course there is the ability to eat without being in the bathroom for hours at a time.

This was also my first gluten-free Thanksgiving. For those of you that know me, I can't cook.  It stresses me out and I would much rather be doing other things.  But I made my very first pumpkin pie this year...and a gluten-free one at that.  And wonders of wonders...it was really good!  Chalk one up for my ability to follow a recipe!

I have a bunch of fun things coming up, my December Daily base pages as well as a fun Advent calendar project I just finished up as well.  So stay tuned sports fans, I'm back and better than ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment