Thursday, October 29, 2009

keeping the peace

the past few days have been...challenging around here. Roman has been having a hard time transitioning between playing and...anything really. It is especially hard to get him on the potty these days too, each time he we try to put him on he throws a fit and sometimes even cries because he says he is busy.

Yesterday morning I was at my wits end when we finally got to Occuptional Therapy (late of course). I told Roman's therapist about the issues that we have been having lately and she recommended putting together a schedule to help him transition a bit better. She also recommended reinstating the potty chart (which didn't seem to be working) in addition to giving M&M's as rewards.

So last night I got to work and this is what I came up with, (the squares you see above his schedule are the completed activities for the day)

I made 3x3 squares in photoshop and typed his activities for the day along with a corresponding picture (thank you Microsoft Clip Art!). I printed them out then laminated them with sturdy 10 mil sleeves (my favorite thickness), cut them out, rounded the corners, then added a strip of velcro to the back along with a magnet, the velcro is white and hard to see against the white paper so I added black lines to show where it is.

Then I laminated an 11x17 sheet of paper, rounded the corners and added three strips of velcro for his squares. Last night I made up his schedule for the day and left it on the fridge for him to see the next morning.

The result? Today has been incredible! He loves taking his squares off his schedule and putting them up on the fridge after we're done doing something. We have had zero complaints about going potty today and get this...zero accidents! I also made another potty chart for him too, the one we were using had 20 boxes across and was a bit overwhelming to look at. This one only has ten, everything seems to be working - wahoo! I even made a special square for our "nothing" days: that would be the "Go To Starbucks" square. He is a sucker for hot cocoa and lemon loaf lol. So far so good, will keep you posted!

4 comments:

  1. I love it! I may need to use this in another year or so. Aurora's already getting to the point where she just wants to keep doing whatever she's doing, and transitioning - specifically to bath time - has been a challenge. This is a great chart!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy,What a wonderful idea and it's a great visual for Roman.It took my youngest f..o..r..e..v..e..r!!Your Such a wonderful Mommy!!Warmest Regards,Cat

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a good mommy!

    Love the trip to Starbucks chip, a true Seattle baby guy! :)

    L~

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just stumbled onto your blog today and wanted to say hi! I live in the Seattle area too, and my oldest son has Sensory Processing Disorder (and more). And according to this post, we have the same coutnertops too. LOL

    You are very creative and I just love your daily books! Kudos for having the time (because who does when you are using visual charts to do everything? LOL).

    I'll check back to see how December turns out!
    Hartley
    hartleysboys.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete